The October edition of “WHIRS” is dedicated to the 3L’s. Since we are the only ones refusing to be hermits in the library yet #3LOL. Don’t fret my fellow classmates, we still have time for a “Monster Mash” before finals crunch time. I have scoured all the Baton Rouge social calendars to come up with a list you’ll enjoy, and I hope you check out some of these fun events before your 3-2-1’s kick in.
- In the true spirit of Halloween, experience one of the United State’s best haunts, the 13th Gate and Necropolis 13 before they are gone. These Haunted Houses will be open October 25th-31st from 6:30-11:30 pm. They’re located at 832 Saint Phillip Street Downtown. I toured the 13th Gate in 8th grade and vowed never to go again after I crawled through a crematorium and was chased by the Texas Chainsaw Massacre guy. You can let me know how it goes if you’re brave enough to try these out!
- I’ve had some requests for family-friendly events for our PMH Parents. The Greater Baton Rouge State Fair is October 22nd-November 1st from 5:00 pm until midnight. It’s located at the Airline Highway Park/Fairgrounds. There will be festival food, live entertainment, rides, and a petting zoo.
- The Zombie Bash 5k is a one mile fun run and 5k on the morning of Halloween beginning at the North Boulevard Town Square at 11:30am. A zombie makeup tent will provide ghoulish face painting. After the race, there will be live music, food, and an annual mass street dance to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.” It all concludes just in time for the Halloween parade.
- “It’s Halloween, Witches!” is the theme of the Halloween parade in Downtown Baton Rouge on October 31st at 2:00 pm. The route begins at St. Phillip and Government Street by the River Center and ends at Laurel Street and River Road. There are alcohol-free sections of the parade for those looking for a more family-oriented experience.
- Just so all your information is in one place, I’m including the HalLAWeen party details! It is on October 31st at Mike’s in Tigerland from 8:00-11:00pm featuring DJ Knuckles. Start planning your costumes now! The contest categories for costume include Punniest, Best Couple, Best Group, Funniest, Scariest, Sexiest, and Best Individual.
- Contrary to popular belief, exercise is the best stress reliever. If you can’t make the Zombie Bash, The Born to Run 1 mile fun run and 5k is on November 7th beginning at the North Boulevard Town Square Downtown at 8:00am until 11:00am.