By: Megan Wiggins
Happy Fall, everyone! This is my favorite time of the semester, and it is not just because pumpkin-flavored everything is making its appearance in stores. We have all gotten into a routine; football season is in its prime, and finals are still far enough away where we can have an active social calendar and not feel guilty. Here’s a few of the many fall-themed events happening throughout the Red Stick that I think you’ll enjoy:
- The 13th Gate Haunted House and Necropolis 13, located at 832 Saint Phillip Street, officially opened to scare the daylights out of you on September 25th. Both attractions feature haunts from 6:30-11:30 pm on the following dates: October 1-3, 8-10, 15-17, 22-24. This haunted house is one of the top-rated in the United States, take a tour….if you dare!
- Don’t forget Brew-at-the-Zoo at the Baton Rouge Zoo on October 2nd from 6:00-10:00pm. Enjoy this beer sampling and food tasting featuring live music at a “wild” venue! To purchase tickets in advance, visit brzoobrew.org
- If you can’t make it to Brew-at-the-Zoo, you’re in luck! The Capital City Beer Fest is October 10th from 1:00-5:00pm at the North Boulevard Town Square Downtown. Patrons receive a free sampling mug and can purchase different craft beer samples and gourmet food. This is a pet-friendly event, so bring your pups out on the leash to enjoy the beautiful weather and live music. This would be a great way to kick off Fall Break aka Reading Days.
- Go enjoy a day in prison that won’t show up on your permanent record! The Angola Prison Rodeo is at the LA State Penitentiary on October 4, 11, 18, and 25th. Gates are open from 9:00-5:00pm but the show starts at 2:00pm.
- Bag of Donuts is one of my favorite cover bands, comparable to the Chee Weez or the Molly Ringwalds. Bag of Donuts is playing at Live After Five from 5:00-8:00pm on the North Boulevard Town Square Downtown on October 16th. The music is free, but alcohol and food trucks are also available for you to enjoy.
- Also on October 16th is the Rusted Root and Dirty Dozen Brass Band at the Varsity Theater at 8:00pm. For more brass band listening pleasure, the Rebirth Brass Band (my fav!) plays on Halloween at the Varsity at 8:00pm.
- Don’t mock me, but a romantic and unique date night idea would be Romeo & Juliet at the Manship Theatre on October 23rd from 7:00-10:00pm. The Manship is located at 100 Lafayette Street, Baton Rouge. This is one of history’s most famous love stories, and it would be a nice change of pace from your typical “Netflix and Chill” evenings.
- A few of my friends have gone to Trivia night at Mellow Mushroom and said it was a hoot. This event is every Wednesday night at 8pm and there are free drinks in the 20 oz Mellow Mushroom Geaux Cups.