By: Megan Wiggins
Welcome back friends! I hope y’all had a fun and eventful summer. As usual, I will keep your social calendars buzzing this semester. There are a ton of Fall festivities planned in the Red Stick, and whether you’re a foodie, hipster, beer connoisseur, tailgate enthusiast, or work-out junkie, I have something for you. I hope you take a break from the books and check out what’s happening in the Red Stick!
- The Baton Rouge Movie Tavern opened on August 18th. The new theater is located at 2610 Citiplace Drive. Go enjoy a movie in one of their comfy recliners and press a button for cocktails, appetizers, and entrees. There is a “Breakfast-and-Flick” feature on Saturdays an
d Sundays at 9:00am. They also offer discounts to college students, aka law students!
- On August 28, 2015 from 7:00-10:00 pm is Fête Rouge: Baton Rouge’s Premier Wine and Food Festival at L’Auberge Casino. You’ll get the chance to taste food in a competition between local chefs, to sample over 200 different wines, or to participate in a silent auction. Tickets can be purchased at FeteRougeBR.com
- Ladies!!! Fall Fashion Fest is August 29th from 3:00-7:00pm at the Tin Roof Brewery. Over twenty local boutiques and designers will have purple and gold attire to get you game day ready! There will be live music, beer, and food as well.
- On August 31, enjoy Red Bean Monday at the Roux House. Every Monday night there will be jazz music for your listening pleasure accompanying the red beans and rice prepared by a local chef.
- September 11th is Live After Five featuring Big Sam’s Funky Nation. Every Friday night in downtown BR at North Boulevard Town Square, there will be live music from 5:00-8:00pm. Food trucks surround the square and you can purchase beer and mixed drinks. At least the music is free!
- Another cool & FREE event in the North Boulevard Town Square is Renegade Roux Camp every Thursday night from 6:00-7:00pm. Certified personal trainers lead this boot camp fitness class for beginners and fitness junkies alike. Just show up with a water bottle and enjoy the class. No equipment is needed. Try it out before it ends! The last class will be held on September 17th.
- On September 12th at 8am in BREC Forest Community Park, there will be the Walk to End Alzheimer’s. Bring your furry friends out to this free event for a good cause and enjoy live music by DJ Deaf and LSU Elvis.
- On September 25th, the Chris Leblanc Band will be playing at Superior Grill at 6:30 pm.
- Let’s not forget Happy’s 5k every Tuesday night! Run one of several different routes throughout the downtown area every Tuesday at 6:15 pm. The start and end of your run is at Happy’s Irish Pub, and your reward for running or walking the full 3 miles is half-priced beer and live music in Happyland.
- If Happy’s 5k is not enough for you fitness enthusiasts, Warrior Dash is on October 3rd at 9:00 am at West Feliciana Parish Sports Park in St. Francisville. This intense 5k is filled with muddy and fun obstacles and ends with a turkey leg, beer, and warrior gear!
- Get your tickets early for the Eli Young Band at the Varsity on Friday, October 2nd at 8:00 pm. Tickets are $35 and can be purchased online.
- I’ve already got my tickets for Brew-at-the-Zoo on October 2nd from 6:00pm-10:00pm at the Baton Rouge Zoo. It’s a little pricey at $40, but you will have access to beer tasting, food, live music, and good company. If you get there early enough, you can go through the zoo! This is guaranteed to be a super fun event!