The Trustees have reached a settlement with BP to resolve BP’s liability for natural resource injuries from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Under this settlement, BP will pay up to $8.8 billion for restoration.
Based on our thorough assessment of impacts to the Gulf’s natural resources, we selected the comprehensive, integrated ecosystem restoration approach for restoration implementation. This approach is outlined in the comprehensive restoration plan, which will allocate funds from the settlement for restoration over the next 15 years.
The plan, and information on the settlement with BP (called the Consent Decree), can be found below.
Final Programmatic Damage Assessment and Restoration Plan (PDARP) and Final Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (PEIS)
- Chapter 1: Cover, Introduction and Executive Summary (pdf, 15 MB)
- Chapter 1: Cover, Introduction and Executive Summary (pdf, 15 MB) (Vietnamese translation)
- Chapter 2: Incident Overview (pdf, 2.3 MB)
- Chapter 3: Ecosystem Setting (pdf, 2.76 MB)
- Chapter 4: Injury to Natural Resources (pdf, 3.58 MB)
- Chapter 5: Restoring Natural Resources (pdf, 45 MB)
- Chapter 6: Environmental Consequences and Compliance with Other Laws (pdf, 12 MB)
- Chapter 7: Governance (pdf, 7.42 MB)
- Chapter 7: Governance (pdf, 7.42 MB) (Vietnamese translation)
- Chapter 8: Trustee Responses to Public Comments (pdf, 537 KB)
- Chapter 8: Trustee Responses to Public Comments (pdf, 537 KB) (Vietnamese translation)
Additional Information on the Plan
- Plan for Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Natural Resource Injury Restoration: An Overview (pdf, 3 MB)
- Record of Decision (pdf, 1 MB)
- Fact sheet on the final plan (pdf, 2 MB)
- List of repositories (pdf, 212 KB)
- Administrative record for the Deepwater Horizon oil spill
Additional Information on the Consent Decree